Ho Chi Minh City, also known as Saigon, is a vibrant and exciting city that is known for its lively nightlife scene. From trendy rooftop bars to bustling street markets and walking streets where you huff on some laughing gas, there is something for everyone to enjoy the Ho Chi Minh City nightlife.
Ho Chi Minh City is famous for its amazing street food scene, rich culture, insane traffic, incredibly humid and hot climate, and of course – its cheap drinks! The city is bigger and a little more expensive than its cousin Hanoi in the north, and some say the Ho Chi Minh nightlife scene is better here, which makes sense as it’s bigger and there are way more options.
If you’re planning a trip to this city and are looking for the best nightlife spots in the city, we have the ultimate guide for you.
Where to Party in Ho Chi Minh City
The current population of Ho Chi Minh City is around 9 million people, as the largest city in Vietnam, you’ll find so many areas in the city where you can party and drink the night away. From the popular backpacker Bui Vien walking street in District 1 to the trendier District 3 and 5, there’s something for everyone here.
Here are some of the best areas to party in Ho Chi Minh City:
- District 1 – District 1 is the central and busiest district in the city and is known for its lively nightlife scene. The area is home to many of the city’s top bars, clubs, and live music venues, including Apocalypse Now, The Observatory, and Chill Skybar. District 1 includes the famous Bui Vien Walking Street.
- District 3 – District 3 is a popular area for nightlife and is known for its bars, clubs, and live music venues. Some popular spots in the area include Broma Not a Bar, The HCMC Social Club, and Lush.
- District 5 – District 5 is a lively and diverse area that is known for its vibrant nightlife scene. The area is home to many of the city’s top bars, clubs, and live music venues, including District 8, The Lost Property Bar, and The Deck Saigon.
- District 7 – District 7 is a newer area in the city that is rapidly developing and is known for its trendy bars and clubs. Some popular spots in the area include The Workshop and The Rooftop.
Overall, there are many great areas to party in Ho Chi Minh City, and each one has its own unique atmosphere and vibe. Whether you’re looking for a trendy rooftop bar or a wild nightclub, there is something for everyone in this city. So if you’re looking to experience the best of Ho Chi Minh City nightlife, be sure to check out these top areas.
Ho Chi Minh City Nightlife & Safety Tips
Here are some tips to help you make the most of your Ho Chi Minh City nightlife experience:
– Don’t walk with your phone out anywhere in Vietnam, scooters are notorious for driving by unsuspecting victims and grabbing phones right out of their hands!
– Make sure to research and plan out your night in advance to ensure you have a good time. Look up reviews and check out the dress codes and cover charges of different venues to help you decide where to go.
– As with any city, it’s important to be aware of your surroundings and stay safe while partying in Ho Chi Minh City. Avoid walking alone at night, and be mindful of your possessions to prevent theft. Watch out for scams as well, which are very common in Vietnam.
– Respect the local culture: Ho Chi Minh City is a diverse and vibrant city with a rich culture, so be sure to respect the local customs and traditions while partying. Dress appropriately and be mindful of your behavior to ensure you have a positive and enjoyable experience.
How Expensive is it to Party in Ho Chi Minh City
Vietnam is one of the cheapest countries in the world to travel in, right up there with Laos, Nepal and Thailand. Ho Chi Minh is no exception to this, especially if you’re staying in the backpacker area along Bui Vien in District 1, where you’ll find beers as cheap as 9,000 dong (45 cents USD).
Here is a basic overview of what you can expect to pay to enjoy the Ho Chi Minh City nightlife scene:
Bottle of beer: 9,000-130,000 VND ($0.45 – $5.50 USD)
Big beer: 40,000-180,000 VND ($1.70 – $7.50 USD)
Cocktail: 80,000-350,000 VND ($3.25 – $14.00 USD)
The Best Bars in Ho Chi Minh City
Chill Skybar is another popular rooftop bar located in District 1 that is known for its chic atmosphere and has one of the best of the views of the city. After around 9:30pm the place really comes to life, with a DJ playing more electronic and lively music. Heads up on the price though, expect to pay around 250,000 Dong for a simple cocktail. The view is worth it though.
Broma Not a Bar
Broma Not a Bar is a unique and eclectic late night bar located in District 1 that is popular with foreigners and has a very lively atmosphere. The bar is located on a nice rooftop terrace delicious and unique cocktails, and turns into a wild party later at night with international DJs. There is a cover charge of 100,000 dong ($4.25 USD)
Bui Vien Street
It’s almost impossible to talk about Ho Chi Minh City nightlife without mentioning Bui Vien Street, possibly one of the most popular and infamous nightlife spots in all of the country. A crazy walking street that always seems overcrowded, full of nightclubs, bars, street food and people huffing on large balloons full of laughing gas. If it’s your first time in the city and you’re looking to party – definitely start the night here.
Social Club Rooftop
Another great rooftop bar located on top of the Hotel des Arts in District 1, Social Club is a pricy bar and club with amazing views of the city and has amazing New Years Eve parties. The restaurant and bar has a relaxed, chill vibe with creative cocktails and delicious food, until later on when international DJ’s turn the place into a dance floor.
The Deck Saigon
The Deck Saigon is a fancy wine bar and restaurant located in District 1 that offers stunning sunset views of the Saigon River. It’s more of a romantic spot to take a date, or even a group of friends to drink and relax before a big night out in the city.
Pasteur Street Brewing Co.
One of the best brewing companies in Vietnam, and probably one of the best craft beer venues in all of the city, Pasteur Street Brewing Co. offers an impressive range of craft beers, brewed right one sight. There are many locations around the city, but the one on Pasteur Street is the best, for obvious reasons.
TNR Saigon is a small little dive bar near pub street with a pool table, cheap drinks and incredible DJ’s playing all kinds of music. Because it’s so small, you’ll make friends instantly here, and it’s also a spot popular with expats, locals and tourists alike, so don’t be afraid of showing up solo. Because of it’s friendly and social bar, this is probably one of our favorite Ho Chi Minh City nightlife spots to start the night.
The Best Night Clubs in Ho Chi Minh City
Lush is a trendy nightclub located in District 1 that is known for its lively atmosphere and regularly hosting popular international DJs. The nightclub is actually quite small, though it has an upstairs section where you can watch and enjoy the music and dance floor from above.
Canalis Club is one of those Vietnamese style nightclubs where they either have a live music band or a DJ. Located in District 3, it’s popular with the local crowd, there is a large elevated dance floor in the middle with dancing girls, and groups of friends standing and dancing around their tables. It’s an authentic Ho Chi Minh City nightlife experience you won’t want to miss.
What was once one of the most popular Ho Chi Minh nightlife spots located in District 1, known for its wild parties and international DJ acts stil remains closed after due to the pandemic.. The club has multiple levels, each with its own dance floor and music genre, so there’s something for everyone to enjoy.
The Observatory is a trendy rooftop club located in District 1 that offers stunning views of the city skyline. The bar is known for its creative cocktails and live music performances, making it a great spot to enjoy a night out with friends.
Ho Chi Minh City Nightlife Summary
Overall, Ho Chi Minh City has a vibrant and exciting nightlife scene that is sure to impress. Whether you’re looking to party on the street in Bui Vien, dance the night away at a nightclub or relax with friends at a rooftop bar, there is something for everyone to enjoy in this city. Don’t be afraid to break the bank here, you can find cheap bars and clubs, as well as fancier places if that’s your thing.,