Jakarta, the bustling capital city of Indonesia, offers a diverse and vibrant nightlife scene that caters to every taste and preference. From hidden speakeasy bars to luxurious rooftop lounges, and from high-energy nightclubs to laid-back pubs, Jakarta nightlife has something for everyone.
In this comprehensive guide, we’ll explore the best places to party in the city, share safety tips and advice, discuss the cost of partying, and highlight the best bars and nightclubs in Jakarta.
Where to Party in Jakarta
The city’s main party hotspots are spread across various districts, with each area offering its unique charm and ambiance. Some of the most popular areas for nightlife in Jakarta include:
- Senayan Central Business District (SCBD): This upscale area is home to some of Jakarta’s most prestigious bars, nightclubs, and restaurants. It’s the perfect spot for a luxurious night out, with stunning rooftop venues and world-class entertainment.
- Senopati: The nightlife in Senopati revolves around the trendy bars and clubs found along Jalan Senopati, Jalan Suryo, and Jalan Gunawarman. This upscale residential area attracts an elite crowd, particularly those of Indonesian-Chinese descent. In Senopati, the hotspots tend to shift very frequently, making it challenging to keep track of the latest popular venues.
- Kemang: Known for its vibrant expat community, Kemang offers a more laid-back atmosphere with a mix of cozy pubs, trendy bars, and lively clubs. It’s an ideal location for those looking to enjoy a casual night out with friends.
- Menteng: This affluent neighborhood is famous for its high-end restaurants and speakeasy-style bars hidden behind unassuming facades. If you’re in the mood for a more sophisticated experience, Menteng is the place to be.
- Ancol: Situated along the coastline, Ancol is home to several beach clubs and outdoor venues, perfect for enjoying the ocean breeze and a relaxed, tropical vibe.
Jakarta Nightlife Safety Tips and Advice
While Jakarta is generally considered a safe city for tourists, it’s essential to take some precautions and be aware of your surroundings when enjoying the nightlife. Here are some safety tips to ensure a fun and safe night out:
- Stay in well-traveled areas: Stick to popular nightlife districts and avoid wandering into unfamiliar or poorly lit areas, especially late at night.
- Watch your drinks: Keep an eye on your drinks at all times to prevent drink spiking. If you suspect something is wrong with your drink, discard it immediately and inform the staff.
- Travel with friends: Whenever possible, explore the nightlife with a group of friends. There’s safety in numbers, and it’s more enjoyable to share the experience with others.
- The Jakarta nightlife scene remains lively throughout the year, with the exception of a brief pause during Ramadan.
- Nightclubs generally operate from midnight to 4 AM, with a few exceptions. Similar to other cities worldwide, clubs are busiest on Fridays, Saturdays, and to some extent, Wednesdays. After the clubs close, you can continue the party by renting a karaoke room. The finest karaoke venues resemble small nightclubs, complete with laser lights and high-quality sound systems.
Cost of Partying in Jakara
The cost of a night out in Jakarta can vary greatly depending on the venues you choose and your personal preferences. Here’s a rough breakdown of the costs you might encounter:
- Drinks: Beer prices at bars and clubs range from IDR 35,000 to IDR 100,000 ($2.50 to $7) per bottle, while cocktails can cost between IDR 100,000 and IDR 200,000 ($7 to $14).
- Food: Many nightlife venues offer food, with prices ranging from IDR 50,000 to IDR 150,000 ($3.50 to $10.50) for appetizers or small plates.
- Transportation: Taxis or ride-hailing apps like Grab and Gojek are common modes of transportation in Jakarta. A short ride may cost around IDR 30,000 ($2), while longer trips can go up to IDR 100,000 ($7) or more, depending on traffic and distance.
- Entrance fees: Some high-end nightclubs may charge an entrance fee, which typically ranges from IDR 150,000 to IDR 300,000 ($10 to $21), often including a free drink.
Best Bars in Jakarta
Lucy in the Sky
Located in the SCBD area, this rooftop bar offers stunning panoramic views of the city, an extensive cocktail menu, and a laid-back, bohemian atmosphere. The casual vibe may contribute to somewhat slow service, and the food is average at best. However, the reasonably priced drinks and stunning city skyline views make up for it. Expect to spend a minimum of Rp 300,000 for two drinks and a small appetizer.
BART (Bar at the Rooftop)
Situated on the 7th floor of the Artotel, BART features unique art installations, delicious cocktails, and a bird’s-eye view of the bustling city below.
This spacious, industrial-style bar is popular among locals and expats alike for its extensive selection of local and international beers, as well as live music performances.
Inspired by the Bauhaus art movement, this stylish bar features unique, geometric décor and a creative cocktail menu designed to delight the senses. Upon entering Bau Haus, a basement bar featuring wooden, artistic interiors, you might feel as if you’ve stepped into a speakeasy. The vintage ambiance of the bar is more laid-back compared to Loewy and Potato Head, making it an appealing spot for the upper-class hipster crowd.
The Back Room
A hidden gem in the heart of Jakarta and located in the Pullman Hotel, this speakeasy-style bar is accessible through a secret entrance and offers a cozy, intimate setting with expertly crafted cocktails.
Inspired by the iconic music scene of London’s Camden Town, this lively bar features live music performances, a vast selection of beers, and a fun, energetic atmosphere.
A long-standing favorite among expats, this British-style pub offers a cozy atmosphere, live music, and a menu of hearty pub grub.
The Social House
For those who wish to mingle with models and celebrities, a night at Social House could be the perfect choice. Boasting an extensive drink selection, cocktails start at Rp 100,000, and beers at Rp 60,000. Often referred to as SoHo, this trendy venue offers an impressive view of Plaza Indonesia’s roundabout.
Loewy, is a popular 1940s-inspired French Bistro & Bar, frequented by foreigners. The retro-chic interior attracts a well-dressed crowd, so it’s best to avoid wearing flip-flops. The venue tends to get crowded around 10 pm when the music volume increases. To escape the heat that sometimes builds up inside, there’s an open-air area where you can cool down.
Best Nightclubs in Jakarta
As one of the largest nightclubs in Jakarta, Colosseum Club features a stunning, Roman-inspired design and state-of-the-art sound and lighting systems. With regular performances by world-renowned DJs and a capacity of over 2,000 people, this club offers an unforgettable party experience for those seeking a high-energy night out.
A long-standing favorite in Jakarta’s nightlife scene, Dragonfly is known for its stylish ambiance, top-notch DJs, and exclusive VIP areas. The club attracts a well-heeled crowd and often hosts special events and themed parties. Featuring a fantastic mix of RnB, electro, and house music, the venue boasts stunning interior decor and attracts a lively crowd. A strict dress code is enforced at the entrance, so dress to impress.
Incorporating Dragonfly into your night out is easy. The club is located in Semanggi (you can find the location on Google Maps), and there are plenty of fantastic bars in the vicinity to explore before or after your visit.
Open 24 hours a day, Club 36 is known for its non-stop party atmosphere and diverse music offerings. With live bands, DJs, and even karaoke, this club caters to a wide range of tastes and preferences.
Exodus is a multi-level nightclub situated in the Mega Kuningan City Mall, located in Jakarta’s business district (you can find the location on Google Maps). The main dance floor can be found on the fifth floor, which is the ground level, where the music is a mix of deep house and RnB. On the second floor, you’ll find a restaurant featuring a live DJ, playing a soothing blend of chill-out and soul tunes. The top floor houses a bar serving Asian cuisine.
*Temporarily Closed* This fairy tale-inspired nightclub boasts a whimsical design, an outdoor garden area, and a rotating roster of local and international DJs spinning the latest hits.
Jakarta Nightlife Conclusion
The Jakarta nightlife scene is rich and diverse, offering everything from luxurious rooftop bars to hidden speakeasy gems and high-energy nightclubs. Whether you’re in the mood for a sophisticated evening out, a casual pub crawl, or a full-blown night of dancing, Jakarta has something to suit every taste. Remember to stay safe, be aware of your surroundings, and enjoy the vibrant energy that this bustling city has to offer after dark. Happy partying!