Strasbourg, a charming and historic city located in the northeastern region of France, boasts a vibrant and exciting nightlife that perfectly complements its rich cultural heritage. As the capital of the Alsace region and the seat of the European Parliament, Strasbourg is a cosmopolitan city that attracts visitors from all over the world.
Its picturesque streets, lined with half-timbered houses and stunning architectural masterpieces, are a delight to explore during the day. However, as the sun sets, the city truly comes alive, revealing a plethora of bars, clubs, and entertainment venues catering to a diverse range of tastes and preferences.
In this guide, we’ll take you on a journey through the best that the Strasbourg nightlife has to offer. From lively bars in the heart of the city to trendy nightclubs pulsing with energy, this guide will provide you with all the information you need to plan a memorable night out in this enchanting French city. With sections dedicated to where to party, nightlife tips and advice, the cost of partying, the best bars, and the best nightclubs, you’ll be well-equipped to experience the vibrant and diverse nightlife of Strasbourg.
Where to Party in Strasbourg
The Strasbourg nightlife scene is concentrated in several key areas, each offering a unique vibe and atmosphere. Some of the most popular areas include:
- La Petite France: This historic district, characterized by its half-timbered houses and charming canals, is home to a number of cozy bars and restaurants, perfect for a relaxed evening out.
- Krutenau: Located south of the city center, Krutenau is a trendy neighborhood popular among students and young professionals. Here, you’ll find a variety of bars, clubs, and live music venues catering to a diverse crowd.
- Place Saint-Etienne: Situated in the heart of Strasbourg, Place Saint-Etienne is a lively square surrounded by bars and restaurants, making it a popular destination for a night out with friends.
Strasbourg Nightlife Tips and Advice
- Dress code: While some of the upscale bars and clubs in Strasbourg may enforce a dress code, most establishments are relatively casual. It’s always a good idea to dress smartly and avoid overly casual attire like sportswear or flip-flops.
- Hours of operation: Many bars and pubs in Strasbourg open in the late afternoon or early evening and close around 2 a.m. Nightclubs generally open around 11 p.m. or midnight and close between 4 a.m. and 6 a.m.
- Age requirements: The legal drinking age in France is 18, and most bars and clubs require patrons to be at least 18 years old to enter. Be sure to carry a valid form of ID, such as a passport or driver’s license, as many venues will ask for proof of age.
- Transportation: Strasbourg’s public transportation system includes buses and trams, which operate until around midnight on weekdays and 2 a.m. on weekends. Taxis and rideshare services like Uber are also available. Be aware that public transportation can be crowded late at night, especially on weekends, so plan accordingly.
- Safety: Strasbourg is generally a safe city, but as with any urban area, it’s important to be cautious and aware of your surroundings, especially late at night. Stick to well-lit, populated areas, and avoid walking alone in unfamiliar neighborhoods. Keep an eye on your belongings and be wary of pickpockets in crowded bars and clubs.
Cost of Partying in Strasbourg
The cost of a night out in Strasbourg can vary widely depending on your choice of venue and personal preferences. A glass of wine or a pint of beer at a local bar or pub can range from €4 to €8, while cocktails at a trendy lounge might cost between €10 and €15.
Entrance fees for nightclubs typically range from €10 to €20, with some clubs offering free entry or reduced cover charges before a certain time. To save on costs, consider taking advantage of happy hour specials, which many bars and pubs offer during the early evening.
Best Bars in Strasbourg
This historic wine bar, located in La Petite France, offers a cozy atmosphere and an extensive selection of Alsatian wines. Sample regional favorites or discover new varieties while enjoying the charming ambiance.
A popular brewpub in the city center, Au Brasseur specializes in house-crafted beers and delicious flammekueche, a traditional Alsatian dish similar to pizza. With a lively atmosphere and a friendly staff, it’s an excellent spot to start your evening.
A favorite bar and pub among students and young professionals, Kitsch’n Bar offers a mix of themed nights and music ranging from pop and rock to electronic and hip-hop. The bars’s kitschy decor and energetic atmosphere make it a fun destination for a night out with friends.
A stylish cocktail bar located in the Krutenau district, L’Alchimiste is known for its inventive drinks and chic atmosphere. The skilled mixologists craft unique concoctions using high-quality ingredients, making it a must-visit for cocktail enthusiasts.
Le Troquet des Kneckes
This quirky, laid-back bar offers a wide selection of beers and a lively atmosphere. With its eclectic decor, friendly staff, and regular live music, Le Troquet des Kneckes is a favorite among locals and visitors alike.
Situated along the picturesque River Ill, Barco Latino is a lively Latin-themed bar offering a range of cocktails, beers, and tapas. With its energetic music and lively atmosphere, it’s a great spot for a night of dancing and socializing.
Best Nightclubs in Strasbourg
This unique bar and nightclub, situated on a boat anchored along the Ill River, offers a laid-back atmosphere and stunning views of the water. With live music and DJ sets on weekends, Le Rafiot is an ideal spot for a fun and memorable night out.
One of Strasbourg’s most popular nightclubs, Le Living offers a chic, modern atmosphere and a lineup of local and international DJs spinning house, techno, and electronic music. The club’s two dance floors and VIP area make it a popular destination for a night of dancing.
A well-known live music venue and nightclub, Laiterie hosts a variety of concerts and DJ sets featuring local, national, and international artists. With its industrial-chic atmosphere and diverse lineup, it’s a popular spot for music lovers.
Le Studio Saglio
This spacious nightclub and live music venue hosts a variety of events, including concerts, DJ sets, and themed parties. With its versatile space and diverse lineup, Le Studio Saglio caters to a wide range of musical tastes and preferences.
Fat Cat PussyCat (Le Fat)
Located in a peaceful side street near Rue d’Austerlitz, Fat Cat PussyCat (known as Le Fat) is a go-to destination for night owls seeking an energetic party atmosphere. Open until 4 am, this club features an eclectic mix of hardcore funk, disco, hip-hop, and deep house music, catering to a tireless and diverse crowd. Additionally, Fat Cat PussyCat hosts live performances that cover a wide range of genres, from heavy metal to blues, ensuring an unforgettable experience for its patrons.
Known for its underground techno and electronic music scene, Kalt is a favorite among locals and visitors alike. With a spacious dance floor and a lineup of talented DJs, Kalt is the ideal spot for those looking to immerse themselves in Strasbourg’s vibrant electronic music scene.
Strasbourg Nightlife Conclusion
The vibrant Strasbourg nightlife scene offers something for everyone, from historic wine bars to trendy nightclubs. With its diverse range of venues and lively atmosphere, the city provides countless opportunities for memorable nights out.
By following our guide to the best bars and clubs in Strasbourg, as well as our tips and advice for a safe and enjoyable night, you’re sure to make the most of your time in this charming Alsatian city. So raise a glass, hit the dance floor, and immerse yourself in the rich and varied nightlife that Strasbourg has to offer.